Saturday, February 16, 2008

Happy Birthday, Nathan!

Seven years, nine months ago I found that that Shawn and I would be blessed with another child. We desperately tried for another child for about a year so we were overjoyed! About 6 weeks into my pregnancy my doctor called and said that I had some complications and the possibility of carrying this child to full-term were remote at best. Lots of scary moments followed but on February 16, 2001 my Nathan was born into this world weighing 9 pounds, 10 ounces.


We loved him from the moment we layed eyes on him.A few months into Nathan's life we discovered that he wasn't developing as other babies his age did. He didn't have the muscle control. A trip to our pediatricians office got us an appointment with a Chicago Neurologist with an early diagnosis of Muscular Dystrophy. The catch ... the soonest we could get into the Neurologist ... three months. Oh, were those three LONG months. Our wonderful, wonderful Neurologist (when the day finally arrived) took one look at our son and said, "No, I think it's Hypotonia." I had no idea what this was but I'd take anything over Muscular Dystrophy! I grew up watching the Jerry Lewis telethons during Labor Day weekend. I knew what MD was! Dr. Swisher said that while we have some major work in our future he thought Nathan would be "caught up" with his peers sometime by his 10th birthday.

Major work did follow. Nathan had physical therapy three days a week for many years. In fact, part of his therapy was riding a horse. He'll never remember but he had a great time on Dude!! He graduated out of the program at 3 years old with caution.


It's estimated that Nathan is now 25% or so behind his peers. Something that doesn't bother him in the least! He's our miracle boy.

His name Nathan Paul means God's little Gift.

He has been that and more to us.

Happy birthday to my favorite little boy!

No comments: